Raids proceed on Jenin and Kamal Adwan Hospital amid mass protests calling for a ceasefire – listed here are main updates.
Right here’s how issues stand on Friday, December 15, 2023:
- A courtroom within the Netherlands will rule immediately on whether or not the Dutch authorities must cease supplying F-35 fighter jet elements to Israel, in accordance with information experiences.
- Jewish protesters in the USA organised demonstrations for a ceasefire in Gaza throughout eight main cities, blocking roads in some locations. “On the eighth night time of Hanukkah, 8 cities, 8 bridges,” activist group Jewish Voice for Peace wrote of the protests on social media.
- Benjamin Reese, a 51-year-old center college instructor within the US, was arrested final week after he threatened to “behead’” a Muslim baby offended by an Israeli flag hung within the classroom, information retailers reported on Thursday.
- German authorities mentioned on Thursday that they’ve arrested four individuals suspected of being linked to Hamas and plotting to assault Jewish websites.
- A wartime opinion ballot amongst Palestinians revealed on Wednesday exhibits an increase in help for Hamas whereas nearly 90 % of individuals need Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to resign.
Human affect and preventing
- In a single day Israeli assaults on Rafah and Khan Younis in southern Gaza resulted in a number of casualties, in accordance with the Palestinian Wafa information company. At the very least 10 individuals have been killed since daybreak, whereas dozens of injured individuals from Khan Younis have been arriving at Nasser hospital, Al Jazeera Arabic reported.
- Israeli forces raided the Kamal Adwan Hospital in northern Gaza for a 3rd day in a row, forcing 2,500 displaced individuals to go away, whereas two sufferers died because of troops stopping medical workers from offering help, in accordance with the United Workplace for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA).
- In a three-day raid on Jenin within the occupied West Financial institution, Israeli troopers focused a mosque the place they have been filmed chanting Jewish prayers and mocking the Islamic name to prayer over a loudspeaker. The Israeli military claimed on Thursday that these troopers have been “instantly faraway from operational exercise”.
- Israel’s navy mentioned it has recovered the physique of a 28-year-old captive from Gaza.
- Yemen’s Houthi group mentioned on Thursday that it hit an “Israel-bound” cargo ship within the Crimson Sea with a drone.
- Israel cancelled a deliberate journey of Mossad director David Barnea to Qatar the place he was anticipated to restart talks on one other captive release take care of Hamas, CNN reported on Thursday, citing a supply conversant in the negotiations.
- Whereas talking to reporters on Thursday, US President Joe Biden urged Israel to “be centered on how you can save civilian lives”, and “be extra cautious”.
- In a information convention on the US Capitol on Thursday, labour union leaders joined progressive lawmakers in appealing that the Biden administration name for an Israel-Gaza ceasefire.
- In a visit to Israel on Thursday, US Nationwide Safety Advisor Jake Sullivan met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and different members of the Israeli warfare cupboard. Sullivan mentioned a possible transition to “lower-intensity operations” within the close to future, however the administration has not put a “timestamp” on the shift, in accordance with White Home spokesman John Kirby.
- Israel’s overseas minister Eli Cohen mentioned on Wednesday that the warfare on Gaza would proceed “with or with out worldwide help”.
- In an interview with Sky Information on Wednesday, Israel’s ambassador to the UK mentioned Israel would now not settle for a two-state answer.